Posts by Dean Sterling Jones (artist’s depiction) / Original idea by Kelsi Michelle White
On this blog you can expect to find a healthy mix of original reports and opinion pieces. For a fairly representative overview of my writing and the topics I tend toward, you can read my 2016 recap by clicking here: The Year in Blog – 2016 Edition.
My work has been cited by BuzzFeed UK, the Press Gazette, Techdirt, FoodMed.net, and the Comic Book Legal Defence Fund, among others.
In 2016, I wrote extensively about the International Meta-Medicine Association (IMMA), a US alt-med organisation with links to notorious criminal ex-doctor Ryke Geerd Hamer. In chronological order:
• The Macabre Origins of the Meta-Medicine Movement (Part one) – June 9, 2016
• Lifting the Lid on the Meta-Medicine Movement (Part two) – June 30, 2016
• Freunde von Meta-Medicine (Part three) – July 25, 2016
• The Art and Weird Science of Self-Healing (Part four) – August 12, 2016
In March 2017, BuzzFeed UK published a superb article by science journalist Tom Chivers based partly on the above posts. You can read Chivers’ article by clicking here.
In 2016, I also wrote about an attempt by the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) to retract an article by investigative journalist Nina Teicholz, author of New York Times best-seller, The Big Fat Surprise. In reverse chronological order:
• Butter, Meat and Free Speech – December 3, 2016
• Voice in the Wilderness (recap of story) – May 18, 2016
• Silencing Science with Peter M. Heimlich and Kelsi White – May 5, 2016
• Another Big Fat Surprise – January 6, 2016
• Disappearing Act with Peter M. Heimlich – December 28, 2015
Teicholz’s own critique of an article by Retraction Watch can be read by clicking here.
My work on Teicholz was featured in two articles by South African health and nutrition journalist Marika Sboros, available to read by clicking here and here. I later interviewed Marika for a January 5, 2017 post, which you can read by clicking here.
You can read my interview with UK gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell by clicking here.
A selection of media reports based on stories published on this blog
• This London university keeps hosting pseudoscientific events by Tom Chivers, BuzzFeed UK, March 15, 2017
• Magazine publisher with criminal past says Telegraph used him to ‘attack’ Impress by Freddy Mayhew, Press Gazette, January 27, 2017
• Why is Harvard sticking the knife into butter again? by Marika Sboros, FoodMed.net, July 29, 2016
• Victory for Teicholz in battle of US dietary guidelines by Marika Sboros, FoodMed.net / FOODStuff SA, December 4, 2016
• Disease prevention – the shunned science by Alice and Fred Ottoboni, Ketopia, August 18, 2016
• Even more Skulduggery in Nutrition by Verner Wheelock, Verner’s Views, December 27, 2016
• Massachusetts Police Dept. Files DMCA Takedowns On News Stories Using Mugshots Taken By Police by Mike Masnick, TechDirt, November 18, 2016
• Burlington Police Insist Someone Is Pretending To Abuse Copyright Law To Censor News Stories About Arrests by Mike Masnick, TechDirt, November 21, 2016
• Satirical Cartoon Blog Post Blocked in Turkey by Maren Williams, Comic Book Legal Defence Fund, December 9, 2016
• The Erdogan Dictatorship by JR Mora, jrmora.com, December 2, 2016
• Latuff: Turkish publisher held by police, Cartoonist Rights Network International, January 6, 2017